Saturday, September 12, 2009

well friends, 3 weeks of teaching down! And only about 33 more to go...

i am sitting here coughing, blowing my nose, and sneezing... apparently my body has been adjusting to being around germy middle schoolers this week. it's no fun, but hopefully this weekend will be full of rest.

that being said, this week was really good. i feel like i am coming into my own, and really feel more established as a "teacher". i have their respect, they (hopefully) know that i respect and love them, and the classroom just feels established.

it's crazy how quickly the school day goes, and how much responsibility and pressure there is to get a certain amount of things done each day. Curriculum, content, assessments... each day blows by because I am busy making sure I get everything "done".

But the thing is, I'm really not there for curriculum, and content. I'm there to love the students and faculty the way Jesus has called me to. I get so caught up in my responsibility to get things "done" each day. Each morning I cry out that Jesus in His mercy would love these kids through me, and give me His perspective on my "job".

Last night I sat with friends and talked about our jobs, and it's just crazy how much that really does define us at this point. Where you work and what you're involved in during the week really is defining of who you are. It takes the most of our time. But our ultimate identity is not here. We are not here to just be "teachers" and "businessmen" and "photographers"... but we are here to be the church and love as Jesus does.

It is cool to watch God use the gifts He specifically placed in me. My mom actually got to bring me lunch yesterday and stayed and observed me in my afternoon classes. She loved it, and afterwards talked about how I used to play teacher with my stuffed animals in my room, and I looked the same. (just a little older i hope).

God made us each unique. He gave us specific gifts and interests and hobbies, and it is cool when He allows us to use them. There is nothing wrong with loving your job. I just pray each day that it never consumes me. That I do not find my identity there. That more importantly I seek to know the Lord intimately and be changed into His likeness, on my own and through community.

Well lastly here are a few fun pics with my family from Labor day. It was a good time of rest and refreshment.


'










2 comments:

jenn said...

i love hearing your heart about teaching. God is using you brilliantly there, and it has been so cool to walk with you through the process to get to where you are now! you are shining ever so brightly. love you:)

Unknown said...

Yes, you do look a little older and I did love being there! Mama