Sunday, July 26, 2009

grateful.

God is faithful. He provides, and He knows our needs when we don't. He delights in showing His faithfulness and making Himself known.

One way He's shown me His faithfulness lately is that He has provided a teaching job for this year - 8th grade math. NERD ALERT! I'm incredibly grateful and excited to take on this job. The process of switching jobs has been clear and directed, and God has opened doors. He dropped this job in my lap - I didn't "get" it. I'm excited to see it come together and get started.

I do get afraid though, of praising the gifts instead of the Giver. It is so easy to be joyful and excited when things seem to be coming together and more defined. But, God is faithful always, no matter what, even when we're sitting still, alone, with nothing before us. He is good.

I'm nearing the end of Jesus' ministry in the chronological Bible I'm reading. The city of Jerusalem, when Jesus was entering the city on "palm sunday", praised Him "for the things he had done". I never understood how they would yell "Crucify him!" only a few days later. The problem was, they weren't all praising Him for the right reasons at the beginning of the week - many of them were selfishly praising him, hoping he would bring a physical political kingdom.

Yes, God does good things. Yes, we can praise him for being faithful and tangibly providing. Yet, this year I have been learning how good and faithful He always is. It is me that changes, and my waivering affections and emotions. God constantly and consistently loves me and shows me His glory and power. He constantly calls us to joyful obedience.

Oh Father, humble us to walk in your way, and to cling to knowing you above anything else. This world will pass away, but you call us to live here and love fully each and every day. We praise you for who You are and pray for strength to follow you.

2 comments:

joe said...

Good word Kristen. I appreciate that right now.

Annie said...

Kristen~ congratulations! I am so happy for you, and encouraged by your post. Thank you.